Contact your Trustee by phone, email or fax and demand that the Holodomor be included in the genocide studies. A list of contacts can be found at:
Send an email to the Chair and members of the School Board requesting the same:
John Campbell, Chair and Members of the TDSB
Gerry Connelly, Director of Education
Come out to the Special Board meeting, June 12, 6:00pm at the TDSB Board Room,
5050 Yonge St., Toronto.
When calling trustees you can start out with:
Have they ever heard of the Holodomor — the Famine-Genocide in Ukraine?
More than likely they will say they haven’t thus allowing us to inform them, etc.
Then challenge their vote if you detect that they are going to vote against inclusion of the Holodomor – as they should be voting on an informed basis and for sound pedagogical reasons. Keep track of those who say they haven’t heard of it or those who seem to know little about it and send them supplemental information and request an in person meeting to brief them
The TDSB committee clearly stated that they did not exclude the Holodmor, that there is plenty of opportunity to research it and study it. But we all know that if a topic is not a mandatory part of a curriculum (which it is not, only 3 are), the teachers will not teach it and the kids won’t find ‘it’ to research it.
This is a very important point, and the TDSB have been able to answer
questions using this very point, which is a lameduck argument.
Purpose in writing/calling:
Include the Holodomor in the core curriculum – genocide studies
- Canadian government recognized Holodomor as genocide and identified the 4th Saturday in November as Holodomor Memorial Day.
- Several provinces recognized Holodomor as genocide – Bill is currently before Ontario Legislation.
- Scholars and Historians have documented the famine as a genocide. New documents are emerging almost daily.
- Over 3,000,000 of the victims were children.
- 15 countries, with more to follow, have recognized the Holodomor as a genocide.
- Director’s Report acknowledges that more people died in the Ukrainian famine than in the 3 genocides currently approved.
- The Holodomor was the only genocide to be executed in peace time.
- Largely ignored, no media coverage due to Stalin being an ally of the West.
- Holodomor meets the Geneva Convention’s definition of Genocide.
- Communist propaganda, supported by NY times journalist Walter Duranty, was purposely misleading. FDR referred to Stalin as “Uncle Joe”
- Stalin’s crimes exceed those of Hitler by a factor of 3-4 times.
- Communists and Leftists continue to cover up Stalin’s crimes.
- Many school boards in Canada, US and other countries are teaching about the Holodomor as an act of genocide.
- Russia continues to deny it, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
- The Holodomor is not general public knowledge.
- The Holodomor can be easily incorporated into the existing core program, as teachers have indicated. Resource materials are available and a summer writing team can easily prepare a teaching unit.
- Overall, the intent of the Holodomor was to wipe out the Ukrainian people.
- No reason was given or suggested by the TDSB why the Holodomor cannot be included. The Review Committee is not well represented and has no specialist on Ukrainian or East European history.
- There was no consultation with the Ukrainian community, given that there are over 100,000 Canadians of Ukrainian origin in the GTA.
- With the recent visit of President Yushchenko and the media coverage of the Holodomor, students are asking questions and would like to do further research.
- The Ukrainian documentation centre has a wealth of books and other materials on the Holodomor.
- The Holodomor is an example of a Communist-perpetrated genocide.
- Stalin’s Holodomor gave the greenlight for Hitler’s Holocaust, since the Holodomor was successfully concealed and hidden to the West.
- At the June 2nd meeting, Board officials mislead the public by stating there are resources available on the Holodomor within the TDSB course.
These are only guidelines. I hope you find these useful. Feel free to expand or use other arguments.
From the latest ePoshta.
UPDATE: Looks like the Toronto Sun has taken notice of tonight’s vote, also here is a press release for tonight.